Won Bin as LG Infinia smart TV model, 2011
November 10, 1977 (age 34)
Jeongseon, Gangwon-do, South Korea
|Alma mater||Yong-In University,
Baekje Arts College
|Years active||1997 – 2005
|Agent||Eden Nine Entertainment|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||63 kg (140 lb)|
|Revised Romanization||Won Bin|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Do-jin|
 Early life and beginnings
Won was born and raised in a hamlet in the north of Jeongseon in Gangwon-do, South Korea. He is the fifth and youngest child, with one brother and three sisters. His father was formerly employed in a mine and his mother worked on a farm; both of his parents are now retired. As was common for other children living in mountaineous regions, Won spent most of his time playing around with friends in the mountains and rivers, and later explained: “I came back home most nights at sunset with a black and dusty face.” He was frequently shy, introspective, and quiet, character traits that would continue to follow him throughout adulthood. While not talkative or outgoing, he excelled at athletics. Won started taekwondo lessons and now holds a black belt. As a young boy, he initially planned to become a car mechanic due to his interest in car racing and motorcycling. Won graduated from a mechanical high school, where he studied car repair and mechanics.
In November 1995, a cable television station was looking to recruit and hire new actors; Won applied and was accepted in his last semester of high school. He started to take acting classes at the station’s headquarters and appeared in several dramas. The following month, Won signed an acting contract with a talent agency.
Won made his screen debut with a supporting role in the 1997 drama Propose. His role in Ready Go! (1998) helped hone his acting chops. After Ready Go!, he took a break and entered a college called Paekche Institute of the Arts in 1998 to take acting classes. In 1999, Won came back to the screen with a lead role in drama Kwangki from which he was recognized as a promising young actor and a teen heartthrob.
He made his big breakthrough in 2000 with drama Kkokji and Autumn Fairy Tale. His role as a rebellious youngest son in Kkokji proved his acting potential and his role in the widely successful drama Autumn Fairy Tale landed him on the A-list for Korean performers. Autumn Fairy Tale gained wide popularity in Asia and he became one of the most popular Korean actors in Korea and Asia as well. In 2002, Won became the first Korean actor to get wide popularity in Japan through the first Japan and Korea joint production drama Friends.
Won also had roles in several popular movies, including Guns & Talks and My Brother, but it is his portrayal of the sensitive younger brother in the blockbuster war movie Taegukgi (aka Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War) (2004) that has truly cemented his fame in the international realm. With the success of the critically acclaimed Taegukgi, recognition of his acting skills has reached an ever-wider international audience. Taegukgi is the best selling movie in South Korea in 2004 with 11.75 million admissions.
His career was interrupted by his mandatory service to the South Korean Army. After graduating from the Graduate School of Arts in Yong-In University in 2005, Won started his military duty in November 2005 and stationed at the Korean Demilitarized Zone, a position for which he volunteered. On June 2, 2006, the military officially confirmed than Won Bin would be no longer active. The decision was made by the military when Won Bin sustained injury to his ACL. He had undergone surgery and was officially discharged on June 7, 2006. After the surgery, he had gone through rehabilitation program for more than one year to recover from the injury.
Won was appointed as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador of the Korean Committee on September 6, 2007. He has participated in various programs and charity events in Korea for UNICEF from that time on, and has appeared in several promotional videos.
In April 2008, Won finally confirmed that his re-debut film would be Mother directed by Bong Joon-ho. Filming started in September 2008 and finished in February 2009. The film was selected to compete in the Un Certain Regard section of the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. He walked the red carpet at the film’s world premiere on May 16, 2009 in the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. Won’s new movie The Man from Nowhere was released in August 2010.
|2001||Guns & Talks||킬러들의 수다||Ha-yun|
|2004||Taegukgi||태극기 휘날리며||Lee Jin-seok|
|2010||The Man from Nowhere||아저씨||Cha Tae-sik|
 Television drama
|1998||Ready, Go!||Han Seung-joo||MBC|
|Tough Guy’s Love (aka: Kkokji)||Song Myung-tae||KBS|
|Autumn in My Heart||Han Tae-suk||KBS|
|2002||Friends||Kim Ji-hoon||TBS & MBC|
- 2000: “dream in HEAVEN” photobook (released in Dec 2000 in Korea, and Mar 2002 in Japan) – 100 pages photo essays with photos taken in Bali, Indonesia and Korea.
- 2002: “WWW-Wonbin Wide pinup Web” photobook (released in September in Japan) – 40 pages photo essays.
- 2005: “28 Day ‘n Year Won Bin” Premium Box Set – DVD & photobook (released in February in Japan) – 60-minute DVD and 144 pages of photos with sincere essays written by Won Bin revolving around his private life and his photo session trip to the Czech Republic, Japan and Korea, as well as collector’s gifts.
- 2006: “BINUS” DVD (released in March in Japan) – To show his gratitude to his fans for their years of support, Won Bin has recorded this candid, personal DVD (60 minutes) to be shared just between him and us, the fans – hence the title BINUS (BINUS is the name of his official fanclub), before fulfilling his mandatory military service. It includes revealing footage and private life, with Won Bin re-visiting many places in his hometown to share with his fans his background and childhood memories.
- 2006: “Dear Wonbin” photobook (released in May in Japan) – Designed like a diary book, with drawings by Won Bin.
- 2010: “I Love You” Private DVD & Photobook (released in December in Japan) – 105-minute DVD and photobook, filmed in Ireland
 TV commercials/Advert
- 1999: 018 Telecom 
- 2000: French Cafe, Dong Yang Life Insurance 
- 2001: KTF ‘Magic N’ Cell Phone, Dong Yang Life Insurance, Hite Beer, Namyang French Cafe, Dean Clau Eau de Toilette, Nadri Cosmetic, Haitai Potato Chips, Lotte ‘Atlas’ Chocolate 
- 2002: Woori Bank, Baskin Robbins 31 Ice-cream, Namyang French Cafe, Dean Clau Eau de Toilette & men’s skin-care products 
- 2003: Woori Bank, Baskin Robbins 31 Ice-cream, Namyang French Cafe 
- 2004: Woori Bank, LG Cyon Cell Phone, Missha make-up product 
- 2005: LG Cyon Cell Phone, Missha make-up product, FORVAL I.T./Telecom (Japan) 
- 2008: Nintendo Wii Video Game, Maxim T.O.P Espresso 
- 2009: Maxim T.O.P Espresso 
- 2010: HITE MAX Beer, Maxim T.O.P Espresso, Cuckoo HomeSys, Tous Les Jours Bakery, Olympus Camera, The Face Shop, LG Beyond
- 2011: LG INFINIA Smart TV & Cinema3D TV, Cuckoo HomeSys, SK Telecom, HITE Beer, The Face Shop, LG Beyond, Maxim T.O.P Espresso, Olympus Camera, Tous Les Jours Bakery
 Fashion brand spokesmodels
- 1999: Clride, Yell
- 2000: Clride, Jambangee
- 2001: Jambangee, Ziozia 
- 2002: Ziozia, GIA, Visaruno of Marui 0101 Dept Store (Japan) 
- 2003: GIA, C.O.A.X., Visaruno of Marui 0101 Dept Store (Japan) 
- 2004: Omphalos, Ziozia 
- 2005: Ziozia
- 2008: Ziozia 
- 2010: Hang Ten
- 2011: CHRIS.CHRISTY, basichouse, K2 
 Awards and nominations
 Won (acting awards)
- 1999: KBS Drama Acting Awards – Best Newcomer for Kwangki
- 2000: KBS Drama Acting Awards – Excellence in Acting for Kkokji and Autumn in My Heart
- 2001: (37th) PaekSang Arts Awards – Best Newcomer for Kkokji and Autumn in My Heart
- 2004: (12th) Chunsa Film Art Awards – Best New Actor for Taegukgi
- 2004: (27th) Golden Cinematography Awards – Best New Actor for Taegukgi
- 2010 Oct: (47th) Grand Bell Awards – Best Actor for The Man from Nowhere 
- 2010 Oct: (47th) Grand Bell Awards – Popularity Award for The Man from Nowhere 
- 2010 Nov: (8th) Korea Film Awards – Best Actor for The Man from Nowhere 
- 2010 Nov: (31st) Blue Dragon Awards – Popularity Award for The Man from Nowhere 
- 2010 Dec: (6th) University Film Festival of Korea – Best Actor for The Man from Nowhere
- 2011 Jan: (2nd) Film Journalists Association Annual Film Awards (Korea) – Best Actor for The Man from Nowhere
- 2011 Feb: (8th) MaxMovie Awards (Korea) – Best Actor for The Man from Nowhere
 Other awards/honors
- 2002: BVLGARI Brilliant Dreams Award (Japan) 
- 2007: Appointed as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador 
- 2011: Best Jewellery Wearer Award (Japan) 
- 2004: (3rd) Korea Film Awards – nominated Best Actor for My Brother
- 2010: (46th) PaekSang Arts Awards – nominated Best Actor for Mother
- 2010: (4th) Asian Film Awards – nominated Best Supporting Actor for Mother
- 2010: (31st) Blue Dragon Awards – nominated Best Actor for The Man from Nowhere
- 2011: (47th) PaekSang Arts Awards – nominated Best Actor for The Man from Nowhere
 Magazine/Media recognition
- 2000: Best Dresser of the year
- 2002: Voted as the “April 2002 Most Beautiful Man” by MostBeautifulMan.com. The first Asian celebrity to win in this monthly poll.
- 2004: Chosen as one of the eight “Coolest Guy Celebrity” in the readers’ survey of 9 international ELLEgirl magazines.
- 2005: Voted #1 “Favorite Asian Star” (2005) in the readers’ survey by Japanese magazine “CanCam”.
- 2005: Voted #1 “Favorite Asian Star” (2005) in the readers’ survey by Japanese magazine “an.an”.
- 2006: Voted #1 “Favorite Asian Star” (2006) in the readers’ survey by Japanese magazine “an.an”.
- 2007: Voted #1 “Favorite Asian Star” (2007) in the readers’ survey by Japanese magazine “an.an”.
 Charity works
As UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, Won Bin has participated in various programs and charity events.
- 2007.09.06 – Appointed as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
- 2007.10.03 – Attended the International Peace Marathon Festival in Seoul to raise fund for UNICEF.
- 2007.11.26 – Attended a charity fashion show to raise fund for UNICEF.
- 2008.02.28 – Attended the “Clean meals, Happy sharing” campaign sponsored by UNICEF and Hanwha Resort.
- 2008.06.24 – Promoting the Awoo Doll campaign.
- 2008.08.20 – Raised fund through photo project with Louis Vuitton and GQ Korea.
- 2008.11.27 – Promoting UNICEF Jumper to raise fund.
- 2008.12.22 – Visited an orphanage in Seoul and presented the children there with Christmas gifts.
- 2009.04.04-13 – Visited Gambia for UNICEF, visited relief center, hospital and schools.
- 2010.09.12-17 – Visited East Timor for UNICEF. watched over the vaccinations and educational work being done on site by UNICEF. 
Sumber dari : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Won_Bin